Sunday 29th September 2002
- OK, GWeb is back on the air after a complete system rebuild. As you may have guessed, the old DeskStar died a most ugly death, but most of my data was backed up. As for the rest of it, well, where can you back up 45GB? 32,000 floppy disks?
- Added RivaTuner 2.0 RC 12 for nVidia cards. Release Candidate 12 adds support for the Detonator 40.xx driver series.
- Added nVidia 40.71 Detonators for Win9x. These are beta drivers, the first Detonator 40 release for Windows 95, 98 and ME. I'm running 40.71 on Windows 98SE, and over the 30.82 Detonators, they increased 3DMark2001 by about 10% and frame rates in the UT2003 demo by about 15-20%. So far, no problems with 40.71 here.
Sunday 22nd September 2002
- Due to technical difficulties, GWeb will not be updated for a short time. I'll let you know when things are back up and running, but for now my advice is this: do NOT, under any circumstances, buy an IBM DeskStar 75GXP-series hard drive. A quick search for 'deskstar problem' on Google will tell you why. The number of failures this drive range has experienced is simply unbelievable ... or at least it was, until yesterday 8-(
Sunday 15th September 2002
- Added GameSpy 3D 2.62-005, for registered and shareware users. Build 005 of 2.62 adds support for the Unreal Tournament 2003 Demo.
Saturday 14th September 2002
- Added aTuner 126.96.36.199 for nVidia cards. 188.8.131.52 adds full support for the 40.41 drivers and a few other knobs besides.
- As if you hadn't heard, the Unreal Tournament 2003 Demo is out.
- Added GameSpy 3D 2.62-004, for registered and shareware users. 2.62 includes support for Battlefield: 1942 (retail), Dirt Track Racing 2 (retail and demo) and IronStorm (retail and demo). SmartSpy is now available to shareware users as well as registered users.
- Archived July News.
Sunday 8th September 2002
- Added aTuner 184.108.40.206 for nVidia cards; there's no distinct news of the changes, but it looks like this version supports auto-detection of Detonator version, and hence 40.41 changes.
- Added the latest UnrealTournament OpenGL renderer, which 'fixes extension detection with very large extension strings'. Whatever.